Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Baylor names David Garland interim president

The Waco Tribune-Herald is reporting that Baylor has named David Garland interim president. Dr. Garland currently serves as the dean of Truett Seminary. I have the utmost respect for Dr. Garland having studied under him while a student at Truett. He is an exceptional Bible scholar, a passionate preacher, and a man of the highest character. He has served as an administrator for the seminary (first as an associate dean, then as dean) for several years always to high praise. I stay out of Baylor politics, but do think this is a good move for Baylor during the transition between presidents - I'll certainly put Dr. Garland in my prayers and ask that you do as well.

See the press release here: http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/communities/breakingnews/entries/2008/08/20/baylor_names_garland_interim_p.html

3 comments:

plunge47.org said...

blooming... I would rather he just write commentaries for us to read...

Prof. Osler said...

We're lucky to have Dr. Garland-- those of us at Baylor outside of the Seminary have a great deal of respect for him, too.

Taylor Sandlin said...

plunge47 - I know what you mean. Selfishly, I'd love Dr. Garland to crank out commentary after commentary. His books really are some of my favorite on the shelf.

Prof. Osler - I'm glad to hear that Dr. Garland has the respect of the law school and beyond (though not surprised). I've been enjoying your blog Osler's Razor. I don't remember how I came by it, I think I found a link to a comment about Jesus and wealth.

My brother, Erick, is a recent Baylor Law Grad. I know he had a great experience there. Many blessings on your work.