Thursday, October 2, 2008

Digging for Diamonds

A few weeks ago, Sophie, Alyson, and I were having one of those random conversations that can only happen with young children. We jumped from one topic to another until somehow we centered into talking about diamonds – about how they’re formed and where they come from. Using my best Dad-knows-all-things voice, I explained, “Your Dad’s even been digging for diamonds.” I made it sound quite adventurous as I told her about a place in Arkansas not too far from where I grew up where anyone can pay a small fee and go dig for diamonds. Her eyes got really big and she asked if she could go dig for diamonds someday. I said that sounded like something we could do when we visited her grandparents – or better yet, something she and her grandparents could do while mom and dad do something else.

Sophie is now convinced that she is going to find a diamond and a big one at that. Her enthusiasm makes me laugh, because I remember my own eagerness as a child as either my family or scout troop would make a trip up to Murfreesboro to camp and to dig for diamonds. I dreamed of bringing home a big one. Unfortunately, all I ever brought home was some quartz I purchased in the gift shop. Needless to say, I’ve grown a little skeptical of finding a diamond in Arkansas. The diamond fields have become a little picked over. Oh, we’ll take the kids someday. It’s a fun family outing, but my expectations have definitely changed.

Almost.

My mother called last week knowing that we had been talking about this and said, “You’ll never guess, but the newspaper is reporting that a man discovered a four carat diamond up at Murfreesboro this week. Be sure to tell Sophie.” I will, but she’s not the one who needs the encouragement. I’ll tell myself. I still don’t think it’s probable that we’ll find a diamond in Arkansas, but I’m reminded not to give up hope on things so quickly. How many times in life do we write someone or something off because it fails to meet our expectations? How often do we leave our bibles closed thinking we’ve tilled those soils before to no avail? How frequently do we give up on church because we think we’ve heard it all before? All the while, great treasures await if we will believe and persevere.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened – Matthew 7:7-8.

1 comment:

Eric The Bastard said...

I was down to the Crater of Diamonds last weekend and it was much fun! I can hardly wait to go back!