Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mr. Sandlin goes to Washington

Today is a pretty special day for the Sandlin clan. My dad, Rick, will be speaking before the United States Congress sometime around 10am (Washington time). He will be speaking to the Research & Science Education Subcommittee about the elementary school he principals in Texarkana, Morriss Elementary. The school emphasizes math and science education through their curriculum, through regular encounters with engineers, and with hands on experiences. On campus the school has a windmill (from San Angelo!), solar panels, high powered telescopes, and much more.

Needless to say, my dad is a little nervous. Last week he had to turn in 55 copies of his testimony. He’s been given strict instructions regarding his allotted time, who can attend with him, etc. If you’ve ever been to D.C., it’s a city that’s build to be impressive. You can get a little nervous just visiting the Capital. Sitting in its halls answering questions fielded by congressmen has to be somewhat intimidating. My guess, though, is that they’ll go easier on my dad than they did on Roger Clemens! Nevertheless, I’m pretty sure my dad will be glad when this is all over.

For as excited as we all are, it’s pretty easy to keep this all in perspective. My family has been walking the halls of power for a long time. Oh, not the halls of D.C. That will be a first for us. But I’ve watched my father (and my mother) enter the halls of the Almighty all my life. They have come before his throne of grace in prayer. They have entered his courts with praise and worship. They have walked with him in obedience and faith. They were the first to help me realize I had an audience with the King, as well.

The great truth of the gospel this morning is that you do, too. You may be ignored by the power brokers of our land, the kings of our day. But the King of Kings and Lord of Lords has extended an open invitation to you (one without time limits!). The question remains, though, will you take him up on his invitation?

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need – Hebrews 4:16.

No comments: