Sunday, November 29, 2009

An Advent Thought: What do you want for Christmas?

As a child, people were constantly asking me what I wanted for Christmas. Back then, I always knew. A bicycle. A basketball goal. A remote control car. Nowadays, not as many people ask me that question. And that’s ok, because as an adult, I’m not always sure.

After all, what do you want out of this advent season? Do you want to get all your Christmas shopping done early? Under budget? Do you want to see friends? Family? Maybe you want to avoid certain family. We probably each have our own secret wish lists for this season, and if you’re like me, it doesn’t have much to do with gifts.

Jesus once asked a blind man what he wanted. The man was quick to answer, “I want to see.” He had a single desire. Oh, it wasn’t that there weren’t other things on his list, but they seemed as nothing compared to this one great need. “If only, I could see,” he probably thought, “everything else would fall into place.”

I wonder, might Christ be asking us the same question? “What do you want me to do for you?” Might my answer need to be the same as the blind man’s? I want to see. I want to see You, the one who came as the Christ-Child, the one who will one day come again. In the shopping, among the friends at parties, in the carols, and through the scriptures, Lord, more than anything else I want to see you.

What do you want this Christmas? Simply Christ.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God - Matthew 5:8.

No comments: