Monday, January 4, 2010

Don't throw out those Christmas cards!

Do you hate throwing out all the Christmas cards people have sent you but don't know what to do with them? My wife, Alyson, found this tip - keep them in a basket near your kitchen table. Then, each night, as you eat dinner, pull one out and say a prayer for the person(s) who sent it. We've done this for a few nights now - here are some of the immediate benefits.

  • It's engaged the kids in family devotional time. We take turns choosing the card from the basket - each child relishing his or her time to "pick the card."
  • It's given Alyson and I a way to share some of our history with our children. We have fun explaining the connection between the sender's family and our own to our kids. These conversations have already led to some pretty funny questions as my kids try to figure out their parents life B.C. (Before Children).
  • Praying for our friends and family by name at the supper table is proving to be a tremendous blessing. It causes me to grow in thanksgiving as I recall all the ways these friends have blessed us through the years. The prayers remind me of God's faithfulness through the years and his hand of provision in the present in my life and in the lives of others.

All in all a wonderful addition to our family devotional time. Thanks to my wife for leading us to do it. You ought to try it out this week - I think it will be a great blessing for you, as well.

1 comment:

Debbie Mendrop said...

Aw, Taylor, that's sweet! Now I wish I had sent you a Christmas card.