Thursday, January 7, 2010

God is the same everywhere. . . I am not


One of my goals in 2010 is to be more attentive to the presence of God in the world around me. I want to have eyes that see and ears that hear. A wonderful little story about seeking God’s presence is told by Rabbi David J Wolpe, in his book Why Faith Matters.

There is a story of a Hasidic rabbi whose child used to wander off to
spend time alone in a forest. Concerned and curious, one day the rabbi pulled
his boy aside to ask him what he was doing.


"I go to the forest to find God," said the boy.

"That's wonderful," replied his father. "But you need not go to the forest
to find God. Don't you know that God is the same everywhere?"

"God is," the boy answered, "but I'm not."

As I approach this new year with the desire to know God more, I wonder, what steps can I take to position myself to know him better? Christ himself took time early in the mornings, away from the crowds, in a garden or up on a mountain in order to be attentive to God’s spirit. I don’t think our places and times for seeking God must be identical to Christ’s. Kitchen tables after everyone has gone to bed may be as wonderful a place to find God as a garden early in the morning. The key is to find a time and a place where we can genuinely seek him.

So what works for you? What are moments in the past when you were more attentive to God’s presence? What helped you be more attentive? Where, today, do you find it easiest to discover His Spirit?

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land where there is no water (Psalm 63:1)

2 comments:

無憂無慮 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Osler said...

This was a great message. I have been thinking about it for a while.