Thursday, June 10, 2010

Take the difficult classes

Not too long ago, I read a conversation on Facebook (would you say overheard? overread?) between two women who had graduated from my Alma Mater, Truett Seminary. They were recalling their favorite professors. One woman mentioned two of my favorites, Dr. Ngan and Dr. Olson. The second replied that she hadn't taken those two professors for fear of losing her 4.0 grade point average. I thought to myself, what a loss! Yes, both professors had high expectations for their students. Yes, neither class was a sure "A". But, oh, what this person missed by dodging these experiences.

At this point, I don't remember my grades in either of these classes, but I do remember much of what they taught and how they taught it. I remember the thrill of looking at the Bible in a new way or the excitement of discussing theology – why it mattered and what we were to do with it. Those classes helped shape me into a better minister. Even more so, they helped shape me into a better person, a better follower of Christ.

Once you get past school, most people aren’t going to care at all what your GPA was. Who you are (or who you've become), on the other hand will matter immensely. I’ve come to the conclusion that learning is more valuable than a grade, wisdom more lasting than a GPA. Don't dodge the difficult classes - or jobs or challenges or relationships. They may be the ones that shape you most of all.

How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!
– Proverbs 16:16

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I didn't go to seminary, but I do remember being challenged the most and getting more from the difficult teachers. Thanks for sharing!