Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thankful

Today, Alyson and I celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. Last night, just for fun, we pulled out our wedding video to show the kids. They’d never seen it and are still young enough to think that sort of thing is interesting. We all laughed at how young and skinny everyone looked. I noticed how dated all the videographer added graphics now appear (not to mention it’s all captured on VHS). Sophie couldn’t get over some of the hairstyles. John Curtis, meanwhile, not having a full grasp of the fact that the world existed before he did, couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t invited to Mommy and Daddy’s wedding. He took great offense at this oversight on our part.

Ten years later, I’m struck by how much life has changed in the past decade, often without my noticing. At least half a dozen of our family and friends in attendance that day are no longer with us, a truth that struck hard at my heart upon seeing their faces once again. Many others live in such distant places we hardly ever see them. A few we haven’t seen since that video was filmed. Like the church scattered out in the book of Acts, the church of our past has scattered to the far corners of the earth. There’s a friend who’s now a missionary in the Middle East and another serving in China. It also was striking to realize how many new friends the Lord has blessed Alyson and I with since that day. Forget the logic of it, I’m with John Curtis on this one. There are some folks who’ve become so important to us, it is a little difficult to grasp that they haven’t somehow always been a part of our lives.

As we turned off the video and moved on to life in the moment, I felt a deep sense of gratitude for my wife who’s still my best friend; for my family who brings me greater joy than I knew was possible; and for the great cloud of witnesses that I’ve been privileged to live this life alongside, even if just for a brief while. If you’re reading this, then there is a good chance you are a part of that group. So please know, like Paul did with the Philippians, I thank God every time I think of you (even if I’m laughing at the hairstyle you used to sport!).

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from this first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus – Philippians 1:3-6

No comments: