Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 15th already?!

Isn’t it amazing (and unsettling!) how quickly life can get away from you? I can’t believe it’s July 15th already. I always think the summer will be a time of rest and relaxation, but this summer has been a sea of change: friends have moved away, students have headed off to college, lots of new faces have moved into town. It’s seems like everyday I find some part of life irreversibly altered from what it was before. In all the change, I’ve found anything but rest - more like frustration and fear. It’s enough to make you want to put the breaks on even though you know you can’t.

Yesterday, I came across one of my favorite quotes, a statement by the theologian Kevin Vanhoozer: “Faithfulness sometimes requires change, not sameness.” It reminded me that whether I like it or not, life is change. If I’m to remain true to my calling, faithful to my family, and loyal to my friends, then I must change with along with life’s circumstances. To resist change is to abandon one’s post. For example, if I want to keep being a faithful dad to my children, I can’t keep treating them like they’re babies when they’re not. Likewise, if I want to be faithful to my wife, I can’t simply keep loving the woman I married, I have to also learn how to love the woman she has become and is becoming.

The best example of this faithfulness through change is God himself. In the book of Lamentations we’re told “Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning;” God doesn’t just rely on yesterday’s compassion; he keeps speaking his mercies afresh into our lives every day. His compassion never fails because it is constantly new. What a word to us who are trying to be like him. Are you attempting to hold onto yesterday? How might that be causing you to miss out on being faithful today? How can your mercy, love, compassion, and faithfulness, be new this morning?

Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies – Psalm 36:5.

7 comments:

Setareh Ebrahimi said...

Hey, just came across your blog and read the begining of the last post...I know what it's like to be in a state of change, with everyone leaving for collect etc, and things being the same, but not exactly the same...I'm leaving for college in a couple of moths.

angeljosue said...

Please read


http://angeljosue-revelaciones.blogspot.com/

Add Your Blog said...

Congratulations! Your blog has been hand selected and
recognized by add your blog.com to receive our - "Blog Star Award" !

Your blog was chosen by our webmasters, to honor your hard
work and dedication in providing a quality web log.
Requirements:
1)Quality Web Content.
2)Great Design .
3)Web Log Everyone Will Love To Read .

Show off our appreciation and display your award on as many pages of your
site as you wish, by following the directions on the link below:

To Claim Award Click Here

http://www.addyourblog.com/award.php

Don't forget to submit your blog to our directory increase your blog
traffic....

Click Here To Add Your Blog To AddYourBlog.Com



Thank You For The Opportunity To View Your Great Blog,


Keep Up The Good Work,
Alessandra P.
Owner of :
Add Your Blog
Candle Shop
My Pet Outlet
Illumination Candles

ms.composure said...

came across yoru blog and i really enjoyed the quotes and other things you had to say. thanks for sharing! i will def. visit again

stephanie

Jess O said...

Thanks for blessing me with your writings.

Please help a fellow believer raise some money by surfing on over to http://www.hybridhondas.com and clicking on a few of the sponsored links that interest you.

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

Nike Air Max 2009 said...

welcome to Greenreplica.com,it provided Lots of low price but high quality including Nike Air Max,Air Max Shoes,Air Max 90,Nike Air Max Shoes,Cheap Nike Air Max,Air Max Nike,Wholesale Nike Air Max 2009,we have thousands of Nike Air Max and Air Max Shoes Wholesale.