Friday, August 27, 2010

Not Moses, too!


Through the Bible in 90 days: Day 5
Read: Exodus 1:1-15:18


Verse that stood out:
Moses was eighty years old and Aaron eighty-three when they spoke to Pharaoh (Exodus 7:7).


OK, confession time. We all read the Bible from a pretty self-centered point of view. Point in case - today I read the first half of Exodus, some of the most exciting chapters in the Bible. In these few chapters you have Moses as a baby afloat in the Nile, the burning bush, the plagues, the Passover, the crossing of the Red Sea! What do I notice? Moses is younger than Aaron. I'd never noticed that before. And it made me mad. Really, God, another younger brother gets to steal the show?!

If you haven't noticed, the Bible's fairly skewed in favor of the younger sibling. God accepted Abel's offering; Jacob got Isaac's blessing. Then right before his own death switched his hands to give Joseph's younger son his blessing (something I noticed earlier in the week!); Joseph, himself, was a younger brother just like the future King David would be. In the NT, younger brothers, even the prodigal ones, end up the good guys while the respectable, older ones end up outside the house. And now I find out, Moses was a younger brother, too! Salt in the wound.

What's an older brother like me to do?

I get that God is making a point in all this - traditional ways of assigning worth and leadership and inheritance don't transfer to the kingdom of God. God chooses the foolish things to shame the wise, the things that are not to nullify the things that are. I know, I know, that's good news for all of us. But couldn't just once, the older brother get a little time in the sun?

2 comments:

Erick said...

Great post. Very insightful. And no typos this time!

Patrick said...

I am really enjoying this series! Sorry about your older brother woes. I wonder who was older: Peter or Andrew, James or John?