Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Be careful what you wish for

Through the Bible in 90 Days: Day 24

Read: 2 Samuel 22:19-1Kings 16:20

Verse that stood out: God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." Solomon answered . . . "Give your servant a discerning heart" (1 Kings 3:5,6,9)

If God were to grant you one wish, what would you wish for (assuming you can't wish for more wishes)? I'm not looking for a Sunday School answer here or a Beauty Pageant answer - you know the kind, "World Peace; For everyone to love each other; For all the lost puppies of the world to have a home." What do you already wish for? A change of circumstances? An increase of funds? A world without pain? A world without heartache?

Solomon wished for a discerning heart. Sometimes called wisdom, he longed to be able to govern his people well, to be able to know right from wrong, to know what was best as opposed to what was simply good. A discerning heart.

I'm not sure that's all it's cracked up to be. After all, isn't ignorance bliss? To know right from wrong means I might have to change the way I live. I might have to take up the cause of the oppressed or defend the rights of the poor or act in a way that goes against my own vested interest. Like when I learn that one of my favorite clothing stores gets its clothes from places with inhumane employment practices. My choice is either to stop shopping there (or perhaps petition them to change their actions) or simply ignore an evil myself (and thereby participate in it). It's easier not to know, isn't it?

One wish. What would it be? The warning is fair, be careful what you wish for.

1 comment:

Jeanann said...

i think i would wish for unlimited funds. very materialistic of me, but it could be used to help cure diseases and hunger and all sorts of things.