Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Where do you sense the holy?

Through the Bible in 90 Days: Day 31

Read: 1 Chronicles 24:1 - 2 Chronicles 7:10

Verse that stood out:
When all the people of Israel saw the fire come down and the glory of the LORD on the temple, they bowed down on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and worshiped and gave thanks to the Lord - 2 Chronicles 7:3

Yesterday, I wrote of paying attention to the presence of God. While we trust that God is everywhere and that we are never truly alone, there are obviously some places or occasions that help us become more aware of his presence. For ancient Israel, the Temple, with its sacrifices and corporate worship served as one of those places. A church sanctuary might serve a similar function for us. I've loved sitting in the chapel at Truett Seminary this week. The architecture and the glorious stained glass windows help me as I attempt to lift my eyes to the heavens each morning. I've had similar experiences out in nature as often as I have in a building. I often find God's presence in the faces of those I love.

Certainly, we are called to find God's presence in other places as well. Part of discipleship is learning to find Christ's face in the face of our enemy as well as in the face of our friend. That being said, there's no reason to diminish the importance of those places or faces that most often bring us into an awareness of God's presence. In fact, we should give thanks to God for them.

So, where do you discover God's presence most often?

No comments: