Monday, September 13, 2010

Who am I?

Through the Bible in 90 days: Day 22

Read: 1 Samuel 28:20-2 Samuel 12:10

Verse that stood out: Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me thus far?And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign LORD, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD?

Who am I? It's a good question to ask every now and then. Our answer depends a lot upon our perspective. Often we answer that question by listing all the things we do or have done. Who am I? I'm a pastor. I'm a student. I'm a father. I'm a husband. We think of our accomplishments, our resume, our possessions. Other times, like David, we're confronted with those things that have been done for us. We been created, saved, redeemed, rescued, blessed, etc.

Both are ok ways of describing ourselves, I guess, but one description will certainly outlast the other. What I've made of myself, while important, won't last beyond my last breath. What God's made of me? That, that's something that can never be undone.

No comments: