Sunday, October 3, 2010

Centering Prayer

Through the Bible in 90 days: Day 42

Read: Psalm 69:22-89:13

Verse that stood out:
Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name - Psalm 86:11.

Almost half-way through the Bible. I can honestly say I have not missed a day. That doesn't mean every day's effort has been equal in quality. Some days have been more about getting the reading done. Other days have been more meditative, reflective. The Psalms seem to demand this latter reading. Poetry demands a slower approach. As such, they've been more of a challenge.

I have been gleaning some verses from the Psalms that I hope to commit to memory and use as centering prayers. A centering prayer is a simple prayer, usually no more than a phrase or two that is used to quiet one's heart before God. A common centering prayer is called the Jesus prayer and is an adaptation of the publican's prayer found in the gospels. It says simply, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Often before other types of prayer or when I find myself scattered during the day or just when I have a few spare minutes between meetings I'll repeat this prayer slowly as a way of bringing my thoughts back to God. I'm going to try using Psalm 86:11 this week in a similar fashion. I let you know how it goes. I thought there were several verses out of Psalm 86 that could be used in this fashion.

1 comment:

Carol said...

This verse struck me. It may be too long for a centering prayer, but I want to remember it as a blessing and a reminder.
May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us - yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17