Monday, October 18, 2010

How do you choose?

Through the Bible in 90 Days: Day 57

Read: Jeremiah 33:23-47:7


Verse that stood out: "We will not listen to the message you have spoken to us in the name of the LORD! - Jeremiah 44:16

To be honest, today's reading was a little tough. Mostly bad news for the people of Judah. Either surrender to Babylon or be killed. Not the best options. No wonder the people were tempted to just put their fingers in their ears and ignore the bad news (or throw Jeremiah in a pit. You know, whatever worked at the time!). Ignoring bad news is a fairly common human response. Most of the time, we'd rather just be ignorant. Engine light comes on? Ignore it - it's probably just the light that's malfunctioned anyway. Go to the doctor? No way, he might find something that's wrong. Pray? And be convicted of my sins? No thank you.

Jeremiah is full of bad news. Which has me wondering, how are we any different than the people of Jeremiah's day. Most believers, people who say they believe the Bible, couldn't quote anything from this book with perhaps the exception being the ever popular 29:11. Why do they know that verse? Because it's upbeat. Because it's encouraging. But why just apply that verse to our lives today? Why not the other 1366 verses in this ancient book? Are we saying those have no application to our lives simply because they might contain bad news?

Which leads to perhaps a better question - how do we decide what verses are important for us today and which are not? How do we decide which ones speak to us anew and which ones don't? Which ones are worth memorizing and which are not? I want to know, how do you decide?

2 comments:

Tommy said...

I have heard it said not all news is good news. I guess I need to take each verse, and its news, and ask how can this or does this apply to me, even when I don't like what I see or hear. Not something I really want to do, but, if I'm going to grow, I must do. Guess I can't really choose then, huh?

Debbie Mendrop said...

This is something I have long had questions about - meant to talk to you about it, just never any time. How do we know which verses to claim, in which situations? And is a promise made in a specific situation meant for us as well? We find comfort and direction in scripture, is it all meant for us?