Sunday, October 24, 2010

When faith gets you into trouble

Through the Bible in 90 Days: Day 63

Read: Ezekiel 47:13-Daniel 8:27

Verse that stood out:
then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual - Daniel 3:19

One of my favorite verse in the Bible is Romans 12:18, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." I like it when people get along. I like to build consensus more than I like to win a debate. I think Jon Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity sounds like an excellent idea as I find most political squabbling in our country beyond the pale. All of this is to say, I often need to be reminded that faith doesn't always bring peace with others, sometimes it brings division. It doesn't always appease, sometimes it angers. It doesn't always keep you out of trouble, sometimes faith is the very thing that gets into it. Yes, seek peace always, but don't be surprised if your good will is met with something different in return.

No comments: