Sunday, November 7, 2010

The whole message of this Life

Through the Bible in 90 Days: Day 77

read John 15:18-Acts 6:7

Verse that stood out: "Go, stand in the temple courts," he said, "and tell the people the full message of this new life" - Acts 5:20

My calling into the ministry was not a spectacular one. No vision from heaven like many of the prophets we've been reading about. Just a nagging sense that if I believed what I read in the pages of the scripture, I couldn't give my life to anything else. I don't even remember any one moment when I decided to be a minister. I do remember this verse resonating with me as a teenager: "Go stand and speak to the people in the temple the whole message of this Life" (from the NASB).

A lot has changed since those days. I have fewer answers for life's troubles. I'm certain about far less than I once was. Many of the doctrines I once held dear I now consider secondary at best. But, I do still believe this story of Jesus, the one we call the Christ, is the whole message of this life. That when we proclaim the story of of his death, the story of his resurrection, the hope of his return, we proclaim the very essence of what life is all about. In some ways, even though I understand less than ever, I find myself believing all the more.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

I am still reading!