Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Favorite Hymns

The last few weeks in worship at Southland, we’ve listened as friends have shared with us some of their favorite songs. I’ve been blessed by each testimony and look forward to hearing another one in worship this week. All this testifying has me wondering, what’s my favorite song? An easy candidate would be that classic hymn, “Holy, Holy, Holy.” Barely old enough to read the words from my hymnal, I remember singing those words, “Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty! God in three Persons, blessed Trinity!” and giving my heart to the Lord. It’s been well over two decades since that moment and the first few notes of that song take me right back to my first conscious encounter with the Almighty.

Still another would have to be “Come Thou Fount.” For one, it’s one of the few songs I can sing all the way through. I’ve never been good at remembering the words to songs (just ask Alyson). I’ve always enjoyed the tune and the words. I may be a preacher, but my heart has been just as prone to wandering as any other (see verse 3). The song’s message of grace has always filled me with hope. For whatever reason, this is the song I most often sang over my children when they were infants. On many a dark night, I’ve raised my Ebenezer in an attempt to get a crying baby back to sleep. I’ve sung that song so often to the two of them that whenever they hear it now, they recognize it, smile, and say, “That’s Daddy’s song.”

And so it is.

Come, Though Fount of ev’ry blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise:

Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above;
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love;

His mercy truly does call for songs of loudest praise. May we, his people, never stop singing.

No comments: