Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mom is home base!

This past winter, my family took advantage of a warm day and headed out to a nearby park. Sophie, John Curtis, and I were running around playing tag-your-it. We were having a grand ol' time running and jumping. John Curtis started to get winded and yelled out, "Mom's home base." He ran over to Alyson who was sitting on a bench. He placed his hand on her shoulder and leaned into her. He took deep breaths and found rest. Sophie quickly did the same. I smiled. One, I needed a break from the running as much as they did. Two, I realized that there was probably not a better truth spoken that day for our family, “Mom is home base.” Nor was there a better picture of God’s love.

Jesus once said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Who of us hasn’t been weary and burdened at one time or another? Many of us feel that way today. We wonder in this world of push and shove whether or not there is a place where we can lean into someone stronger than ourselves and find rest. God is that place. We can trust that his love for us is unconditional. We can trust that he is stronger than whatever circumstances we face. We can come to him and find rest.

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. 
- Psalm 61:1-3

No comments: